You may be sitting in your living room right now thinking, “My home isn’t a fancy smart home,” but you don’t have to have high tech gadgets in your home for tech to keep you safer.
Less than 40 years ago, our homes were filled with tiny little death traps. Today, there are safer cleaning products and other simple household items available for an affordable price that keep your home safe.
You don’t have to be rich to afford home safety, thanks to the steady forward pace of technology. Read through some of the specific ways in which tech has made your home safer, and enjoy a moment of perspective.
Cleaner cleaning products
Household cleaning products used to be a rampant source of sickness and death in homes with small children. Today’s cleaning products are, well… cleaner. Polysorbates and sorbitan esters make cleaning safer, and technology is to thank for the science behind the formula.
There are still harsh chemical cleaning products available to consumers, but it’s not difficult to find a safer alternative. Research what makes cleaning products safer, and give yourself the ability to choose wisely next time you’re at the store.
Baby gates are much safer
It’s true that baby gates have been around for quite a while, but they used to be much less sturdy. Baby gates also used to be a terrible source of unwanted pinches and falls. Today’s baby gates come in many shapes and sizes.
You can get a gate that has a door that opens up so you don’t have to climb over it every time you pass through. You can also rest assured that your baby gate won’t simply fall over or pinch your child, as long as you correctly install it.
Your television doesn’t weigh 100 pounds
Technology has changed the way we watch television in a huge way. The device itself has become far more manageable. Today’s televisions don’t weigh a ton and pose a threat of falling over on one of your children.
If a flat screen TV falls on your kid today, you’ll have a chance to recover your child intact. Most televisions on the market don’t weigh more than 40-50 pounds, and there’s no longer a need to make room for the projection device protruding out the back.
Space heaters have come a long way
Space heaters are still a source of danger when not properly used, but they are much safer than they were in the 80’s. Today’s space heaters have sensors in them that signal the device to shut off if it is knocked over.
In fact, most of them don’t even have to fall over to trigger a safety shutdown. You still can’t lay a blanket over your space heater all night, but they are definitely not the death traps they used to be.